Saturday, April 9, 2011

10 days down, the rest of our lives to go!



We have made it through the first 10 days of Cooper being home with us and things couldn't be going any better.

He is such a good little boy ... I'm knocking on wood as I write this because I'm sure I've just jinxed myself somehow. But really, he is a good little boy. He is my little snuggle bug and that's pretty much what we do most of the day. I have to enjoy this time now because it's going to go by fast.


I look at him and it's a little mind blowing that just over a one week ago he was still in my tummy. I can't believe he fit in there at all. The best part is that now when I see him moving his hands and feet I know what he was doing in there.


Both Kevin and I are still learning as we go on what to do with a newborn. I told Kevin the other day, that when Cooper's awake I feel like we need to be educating him somehow; is this when we start going over the alphabet and how to count to 10? For now Cooper and I just stare at each other when he's awake and I keep telling him his first words better be mama, not dada.


He's also such a bobble head right now, I think we're both afraid that we are going to break him somehow. I struggle with putting clothes on him because I don't like putting things on him over his head but Kevin keeps reminding me that if I keep dressing him from the bottom up that I am going to stretch his clothes out before he even gets to wear them. Then I'm finally able to get one arm in an arm hole and then I struggle to get the other one in.


I must admit, it is comedy hour around here when it comes to diaper changes. Because of his circumcision we had to keep his peepee covered with gauze for a about week so it was taking two of us to change him. It's a race against the clock to get the diaper changed before he pees on us or himself. The first time he peed, he had his mouth wide open and got a mouthful of urine, I thought it was funny until the next time and that was when he peed on both Kevin and I.


Cooper's sleep schedule has also been a godsend, again, I'm knocking on wood. He gets fed just before we go to bed at 11 and he's good till about 3, 3:30 or 4 a.m. After that we feed him again and he'll sleep until about 7:30 or 8 a.m. We can't really ask for more than that. He's been sleeping in his Fisher Price Rock-n-Play on Kevin's side of the bed because if he's on my side I don't really sleep. I'm too concerned with if he's still breathing or not. Last night he slept on my side and I was in such a deep sleep that I missed his cues that he was stirring and I woke to a screaming baby. Luckily Kevin was right behind me and started to warm up a bottle for him. We've got a pretty good system down, not too sure how this all going to go when Kevin deploys later this month. Should be interesting.


Cooper did get his first bath today and let me tell you, he needed it. His umbilical cord fell off, or should I say, got stuck to his onesie and came off and we said today is the day he gets a bath. However, he didn't really like the bath all that much, but he smells really good now.


We also try to get out of the house a little bit each day. We've been taking walks around the neighborhood and then we went out to dinner tonight, which was really nice. Tomorrow morning we are going to attempt to go to mass. Kevin thinks he is going to finally see what the inside of the cry room looks like. I say that if we pump Cooper full of milk before we go he'll be just fine. The milk always puts him in a coma-like state.


Anyways, here are few new pics for you all to enjoy. He just keeps getting bigger as the days go by.

1 comment:

  1. Trisha, he's sooo cute! Such a little Kevin, though! Love it! And I'm sitting here cracking up reading your blog! It's been a long time since we were where y'all are, but our boys were still peeing/pooping on us, screaming during first baths, and doing the sleep coma thing whether it was the first or the last! The diaper changing will get faster and way easier as you practice and his circ site heals. If you ever want any boy/baby advice (or commiseration!) give me a call!! Would still love to come bring a meal and meet Mr. Cooper!! Glad things are going well, take care of Mommy, too, though!!

    ReplyDelete